PhysioEx™ Lab Simulation
Endocrine System Physiology
Learn about Endocrine System Physiology by completing the following lab simulation.
- Download and open the lab instruction worksheet (PDF format) for this experiment.
- Watch the BMR Measurement video.
- Complete the PhysioEx™ Lab Experiments:
- Review what you've learned by downloading and completing the review sheet (PDF or RTF format) or taking the multiple-choice quiz.
- To define the following: hormones, target cell, negative feedback, metabolism, thyroxine, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH), hypothalamus, hypothalamic pituitary portal system, portal vein, hormone replacement therapy, diabetes type I, diabetes type II, glucose standard curve
- To give examples of how negative feedback loops regulate hormone release
- To explain the role of thyroxine in maintaining an animal’s metabolic rate
- To explain the effects of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) on an animal’s metabolic rate
- To understand the role of the hypothalamus in the regulation of thyroxine and TSH production
- To understand how hypothalamic hormones reach the pituitary gland
- To understand how estrogen affects bone density
- To explain how hormone replacement therapy works
- To explain how fasting plasma glucose is used to diagnose diabetes
- To understand how levels of cortisol and ACTH can be used to diagnose endocrine diseases
PDF worksheets require Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can download a free copy here.
Back to PhysioEx topic index